It happened, the debate, even if I am 7 months pregnant.
Every year around this time, I start to think about homeschooling. I start to think about school starting in the fall, and I panic. I start to wrap my head around a day of homeschooling. I start to think about what I would teach and how. Then I start to think about if I can? Is it the right decision for our family? Where do I begin? Now while I am not really looking for feedback and more in likely my kids will head to the public school this fall, I still wonder? What is the right decision for our family?
Malachi loves school for the most part (until day 5...lol) and is somewhat anxious to go back. Korra on the other hand is not all that excited for preschool, but I think she will enjoy it.
I think back on my school experience and know it made me who I am today..the good and bad. I had some great Christian friends who helped guide me. I also had some incredible teachers who helped mold me. I can honestly say my faith would not be what it is today with-out those teachers, friends, school experience. I know the argument is that isn't that the parents job and don't I want to mold and shape my kids? I have mixed feelings on this, mostly I want to trust my children to God. I want God to mold and shape my kids into who He wants them to be. Yes as a Christian parent it is my job to help do that, but I can honestly say I am not the best Christian example (especially as a cranky 7 month pregnant women).
So is it still better to help direct and guide your children for the crude world and disciple them in a way that they will be better equip for the world when they are ready? Is it better to be home and learn the domestics, to study what is exciting to them, to sleep in, to show them life, to read them God's word, to offer helping hands to others, to offer things the public school just can not offer, etc? The truth of the matter is fall will be here soon and I will see Malachi 8 less hours a day! We can teach/spend a lot of time together in 8 hours, but will I be able to handle the pressure of it all. Will Malachi see the benefit in being at home or will he long to spend his days in a setting full of kids, full of real life, full of sin (is it better for him to witness the sins of others first hand or the sins of his mom more often then he should), full of standards, full of this world?
Friends, I don't know the answer. As of now we have 5 more weeks of lazy days, long swims, quiet books, and lots of crazy summer plans before I will be sending my love off to 1st grade. The prayers begin tonight as I am thankful to be living in a community where Christianity is not shunned. Where faith is still strong! Where the last two years Malachi has been blessed with Christian teachers and this year will be the same. Blessed....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment